Yummy bean patties
I love beans. Sugar beans are my favourite, oh and chick peas! A lovely chick pea stew with coconut is just so yummy!
On Monday I went into McDonald was babysitting and the kids wanted McD for lunch. Saves me some cooking so I agreed. I am not a fan of fast food burgers. Doesn’t feel or taste very meaty. So I never like ordering burgers. For the longest time, the only ‘non meaty’ option McDonald has was the fish fillet and that is what I would have. This time they had a vegetarian burger :-). Burger King has a bean burger that is yummy so I thought, why not try this one.
Verdict? It was yummy! I could not believe it, I absolutely loved it. It was very tasty, so tasty that I was tempted to go back for another one. I never want to be outdone, especially by people who mass produce, so I decided I was going to replicate it so I can have my very own vegetarian burger.
The only beans I had were sugar beans so that is what I used. Some recipes call for sweet corn, black beans. I will try that later, I tried with sugar beans and I loved it.
Karabo’s Sugar Bean Patty Recipe
(Inspired by McDonald’s vegetarian burger)
- 1 Cup of beans (I may have used a bit more)
- 1 Cup of finely cut onion
- 1 big carrot, grated
- 1/2 a cup of finely cut green pepper (optional)
- 1/2 a cup of finely cut red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 a cup of finely cut yellow pepper (optional)
- 1/3 a cup of finely cut fresh coriander, stems included
- 3 heaped table spoons of flour
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric (Optional- This is my golden spice, it goes in all my savoury dishes)
- More of your favourite herbs and spices – to taste.
- Soak the beans overnight
- Clean and boil till cooked, not too firm but not overcooked as well.
- Mash beans using a fork or use a food processor
- Mix all the ingredients together, add more flour if you need so you can handle and shape the patties
- Shape the patties and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to set and firm up.
- Bake or fry your patties, I baked the patties
- Eat as is or put in a burger roll with Avo and tomato slices…… yummy yummy!